Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Incredible, indelible India

"So far as I am able to judge, nothing has been left undone, either by man or nature, to make India the most extraordinary country that the sun visits on his rounds. Nothing seems to have been forgotten, nothing overlooked." Mark Twain

For me this quote sums up India better than I ever could.
India is unique, unlike any other country I have ever visited. She enters your soul, gets under your skin and steals a piece of your heart all at first glance.

This ancient country is a sensory overload of colour, taste, sound and smell and is so rich in custom, history and culture that it takes you on an unforgettable journey with enough tales and fables to fill a lifetime.

It is the vast contrasts that make India so incredibly memorable.  Decadent structures, monuments to endless wealth and ancient dynasties stand alongside crippled children walking on their hands begging for change, dragging their mangled legs behind them.

The unbelievable Taj Mahal



Beautifully adorned women in jewel-coloured saris decorate the streets and goats and cows stroll along as if browsing the markets and running errands.


A goat out window shopping in Jaipur





I have wanted to visit India for so long and now that I finally have, I can't think of anything else but going back.   India didn't disappoint on any level, all the years of waiting only made me wish I had discovered her sooner. 

Even though I only visited four locations on my trip, it was enough to make me want to renounce my worldly possesions to roam free. 

Arriving at the airport in Delhi, bound for Beijing, I was left in tears as we said goodbye to our driver, I didn't want to be parted from my new found friend India. 


Gandhi Smriti - touchingly simple




With our driver Aadesh at the airport


1 comment:

  1. Such a great post! I love your description of what you experienced there. The photos definitely make me want to go now too. :)

    ReplyDelete